Commentary on the economic , geopolitical and simply fascinating things going on. Served occasionally with a side of snark.
Sunday, August 10, 2014
Ukraine situation ( August 10 , 2014 ) -- Ukrainian Federalists float ceasefire possibility , which was promptly rejected by Kiev unless the Separatists surrender and put down their guns ......... Death dealing will continue it would appear
( Note this is a media source , not a wide eyed blogger... )
KUALA LUMPUR: INTELLIGENCE analysts in the United States had already concluded that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down by an air-to-air missile, and that the Ukrainian government had had something to do with it.
This corroborates an emerging theory postulated by local investigators that the Boeing 777-200 was crippled by an air-to-air missile and finished off with cannon fire from a fighter that had been shadowing it as it plummeted to earth.
In a damning report dated Aug 3, headlined “Flight 17 Shoot-Down Scenario Shifts”, Associated Press reporter Robert Parry said “some US intelligence sources had concluded that the rebels and Russia were likely not at fault and that it appears Ukrainian government forces were to blame”.
This new revelation was posted on GlobalResearch, an independent research and media organisation.
In a statement released by the Ukrainian embassy on Tuesday, Kiev denied that its fighters were airborne during the time MH17 was shot down. This follows a statement released by the Russian Defence Ministry that its air traffic control had detected Ukrainian Air Force activity in the area on the same day.
They also denied all allegations made by the Russian government and said the country’s core interest was in ensuring an immediate, comprehensive, transparent and unbiased international investigation into the tragedy by establishing a state commission comprising experts from the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and Eurocontrol.
“We have evidence that the plane was downed by Russian-backed terrorist with a BUK-M1 SAM system (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation reporting name SA-11) which, together with the crew, had been supplied from Russia. This was all confirmed by our intelligence, intercepted telephone conversations of the terrorists and satellite pictures.
“At the same time, the Ukrainian Armed Forces have never used any anti-aircraft missiles since the anti-terrorist operations started in early April,” the statement read.
Yesterday, the New Straits Times quoted experts who had said that photographs of the blast fragmentation patterns on the fuselage of the airliner showed two distinct shapes — the shredding pattern associated with a warhead packed with “flechettes”, and the more uniform, round-type penetration holes consistent with that of cannon rounds.
Parry’s conclusion also stemmed from the fact that despite assertions from the Obama administration, there has not been a shred of tangible evidence to support the conclusion that Russia supplied the rebels with the BUK-M1 anti-aircraft missile system that would be needed to hit a civilian jetliner flying at 33,000 feet.
Parry also cited a July 29 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation interview with Michael Bociurkiw, one of the first Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) investigators to arrive at the scene of the disaster, near Donetsk.
Bociurkiw is a Ukrainian-Canadian monitor with OSCE who, along with another colleague, were the first international monitors to reach the wreckage after flight MH17 was brought down over eastern Ukraine.
In the CBC interview, the reporter in the video preceded it with: “The wreckage was still smouldering when a small team from the OSCE got there. No other officials arrived for days”.
“There have been two or three pieces of fuselage that have been really pockmarked with what almost looks like machine gun fire; very, very strong machine gun fire,” Bociurkiw said in the interview.
Parry had said that Bociurkiw’s testimony is “as close to virgin, untouched evidence and testimony as we’ll ever get. Unlike a black-box interpretation-analysis long afterward by the Russian, British or Ukrainian governments, each of which has a horse in this race, this testimony from Bociurkiw is raw, independent and comes from one of the two earliest witnesses to the physical evidence.
“That’s powerfully authoritative testimony. Bociurkiw arrived there fast because he negotiated with the locals for the rest of the OSCE team, who were organising to come later,” Parry had said.
Retired Lufthansa pilot Peter Haisenko had also weighed in on the new shoot down theory with Parry and pointed to the entry and exit holes centered around the cockpit.
“You can see the entry and exit holes. The edge of a portion of the holes is bent inwards. These are the smaller holes, round and clean, showing the entry points most likely that of a 30mm caliber projectile.
“The edge of the other, the larger and slightly frayed exit holes, show shreds of metal pointing produced by the same caliber projectiles. Moreover, it is evident that these exit holes of the outer layer of the double aluminum reinforced structure are shredded or bent — outwardly.”
He deduced that in order to have some of those holes fraying inwardly, and the others fraying outwardly, there had to have been a second fighter firing into the cockpit from the airliner’s starboard side. This is critical, as no surface-fired missile (or shrapnel) hitting the airliner could possibly punch holes into the cockpit from both sides of the plane.
“It had to have been a hail of bullets from both sides that brought the plane down. This is Haisenko’s main discovery. You can’t have projectiles going in both directions — into the left-hand-side fuselage panel from both its left and right sides — unless they are coming at the panel from different directions.
“Nobody before Haisenko had noticed that the projectiles had ripped through that panel from both its left side and its right side. This is what rules out any ground-fired missile,” Parry had said.
August 10th tactical, strategic and political SITREP by Juan
1. The Cauldron has not been totally suppressed as of 08:19 10.08.2014. Scattered pockets of Uke troops are still resisting. They are promptly overwhelmed as Resistance conducts their sweeps of the mostly abandoned Uke positions in The Cauldron. Confirmed.
2. Of the over 700 Uke troops who ran to and crossed the Norovorossiya/RF border more than 60% have asked for asylum. The remainder have been repatriated to Ukraine by their request. Confirmed.
3. A bargain was made two days ago for some Uke units to leave The Cauldron. The bargain was the Ukes leave their undamaged vehicles, both transport and fighting vehicles. Buses were provided by the Ukes to meet this group and transport them away from The Cauldron. Confirmed.
4. Another group of Ukes in The Cauldron attempted an armed breakout. This group has a very high proportion of foreign fighters, mostly Polish but with 'others'. Their column was attacked continuously during the attempt and lost significant numbers of troops and equipment. It is estimated that of almost 700 who made the attempt less than 225 managed to escape after abandoning their wounded during the fighting. The attempt and loses are confirmed.
5. It has been noticed that the continuous Uke bombardments of civilian living areas in villages, towns and cities are hitting the 'ordinary workers and peasants' districts. The very extensive wealthy areas are virtually untouched by the Uke arty.
6. With the number of Resistance observers in The Cauldron much intelligence information was gathered in addition to FAO activities. This information has been given to RF with extensive written information and large amounts of photographic evidence. This information is being used in the prosecution of now 9 Uke officers and 14 Uke NCO detained in Russian Federation for investigation of possible commission of war crimes involving the use of prohibited weapons against civilian targets in Novorossiya, the targeting of civilian areas in Novorossiya, the murder of 1 citizen of RF in Russia, the wounding of 7 citizens of RF in Russia and the destruction of both public and private property in Russian Federation. Confirmed.
7. Additional use of Tuchka U tactical ballistic missiles is unconfirmed. The use of the first 3 (or 4) Tuchka U systems resulted in the inability of the missiles to complete their course to their targets. Two very large impact craters have been observed in outlying villages in the Donetsk area since the first launches but it is unknown what caused the craters. While the surrounding houses were damaged by the impacts they do not show the massive damage that would have resulted from the air detonation of a Tuchka which would totally destroy any structure or living entity within 200 meters of the blast.
8. The overall situation in Novorossiya is very fluid as of 09:00 local time. The remains of the units from The Cauldron have now combined with the Uke units that were trying to break through Resistance 'lines' and relieve The Cauldron and are attacking originally north and have now realigned their attacks and are aimed directly at Lugansk Aerodrome some kilometers away. There is the possibility of another cauldron forming around Antratsyt. If this comes to pass it is doubtful any mercy will be shown to the Uke forces trapped inside. As of 10:05 local time there are no significant ground actions on the northwest lines of Novorossiya, all attacks are on the southeast areas. 9. While the tactical fighting is to and fro with many Resistance resounding successes the overall strategic situation for Novorossiya has not changed. Novorossiya is still vastly outnumbered by the Uke armed forces in manpower and catastrophically outnumbered in hardware regardless of the huge captures of Uke equipment by Novorossiya AF. The Ukes have the option of massing where they want and when they want and conducting forward movement operations as they please. The Novorossiya AF have not the manpower to fully man 'the lines' (neither do the Ukes) but Novorossiya AF are conducting defensive operations against an increasingly aggressive foe who is learning on the fly and learning well.
10. The political situation is still the same in regards to The West. RF is 'forbidden' to help Novorossiya with humanitarian aid or to position RF troops on or near the increasingly volatile borders between RF/Ukeland according to the US delegate to UN, Nato and Brussels. Moving the Aegis cruiser Vella Gulf in to the Black Sea is a non starter. The Black Sea is a Russian lake and any aggressive moves by the cruiser may well result in an incident that will have far reaching consequences, not the least of which will be to Vella Gulf himself.
11. The gradual introduction of NATO troops and equipment in to Ukeland proper is of far more import. The first official 'non lethal' equipment shipment from 'Canada' has arrived in Kharkov via Nato air transport on 09.08.2014. Another shipment is scheduled for shortly after 12:00 on 10.08.2014. It is confirmed that there are Nato troops on the ground in Kharkov to assist in the unloading of the cargoes and the training involved with the new equipment and to guard the area in aerodrome proper. Note. To train Uke soldiers in the sophisticated night vision and other electronic equipment will take a month or more of intensive work. Ukeland does not have a month nor does Nato. Who is going to use this equipment? It is also confirmed that there is an ever increasing and not small cadre of American troops in Kiev assisting the Ukeland government in their prosecution of the war under the nominal auspices of NATO.
12. Conclusions. Russia will not allow Novorossiya to fall. Russian Army will not cross the borders with Novorossiya unless there is a catastrophic attack involving massive civilian casualties in Novorossiya or Russian Federation.
Donetsk republic says ceasefire possible if Ukrainian troops follow suit
August 10, 14:54UTC+4 Militia is always open for a ceasefire agreement, Donetsk People’s Republic’s Ministry of Information Policy said
DONETSK, August 10 /ITAR-TASS/. The main condition for a ceasefire by militia in Ukraine’s southeast is a similar measure from the Ukrainian troops, Donetsk People’s Republic’s Ministry of Information Policy said in a statement published on the authority’s website on Sunday.
The statement reads: “we are always open for a ceasefire agreement… not to allow spread of the humanitarian catastrophe, which has begun in Donbass already.”
“Ceasefire may be mutual only. However, despite the urges coming now from even the international community, Kiev continues its punitive operation. Informal consultations featuring OSCE bring no results, and yet the republic’s government is ready to continue them.”
The statement read conditions to begin “a negotiation process are: complete withdrawal of the Ukrainian troops from the territory of the Donetsk republic and participation in the negotiations exclusively of official Ukrainian representatives.”
The government of the self-proclaimed republic stressed there is no replacing ceasefire with negotiations.
“In the past, we had only informal consultations with some contact group, which did not have official authorities, and that ceasefire agreement was not observed by the Ukrainian side,” the statement read.
On August 9, Prime Minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk Republic Alexander Zakharchenko announced the republic was ready for a ceasefire not to allow spread of the humanitarian catastrophe in Donbass. His statement was published on the dnr.today website.
(Reuters) - Artillery shells slammed into the outskirts of the Ukrainian city of Donetsk on Sunday as government forces tightened the noose around the rebel-held redoubt and called on pro-Russian separatists to surrender.
To the east of Donetsk, government forces and the separatists were fighting for control of the town of Krasny Luch, a rail and road junction through which Kiev says the rebels are receiving supplies of Russian military equipment.
Talk of a ceasefire, a possibility raised by a separatist leader on Saturday, evaporated as Kiev government forces kept up an offensive to crush the rebels.
Ukrainian military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said if the rebels wanted a ceasefire this meant "raising white flags and putting down their guns".
There would be no truce while the Ukrainian army continued "punitive" military action, the rebels retorted in a statement.
Donetsk, a major industrial hub in Ukraine's Russian-speaking east, resonated with the crash of shells on its outskirts for about eight hours up to mid-day on Sunday, a Reuters witness in the town said.
In the city's northern district of Putilovka, a building housing the offices of Ukrtelecom telecommunications company was ablaze, apparently hit by a shell. Residents had come out to watch, while one man was putting up corrugated metal to protect the windows of his home.
Fighting has forced at least 300,000 of Donetsk's one million residents to flee [Reuters]
Fighting is continuing to rage in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk as the military dismissed calls for a ceasefire by pro-Russian rebels.
At least one person was killed and 10 injured as government shelling continued throughout Sunday in the rebel-held city, despite an appeal by a rebel leader for a ceasefire on humanitarian grounds.
According to reporters, more than 10 residential buildings, as well as a hospital and a shop, were heavily damaged by overnight shelling.
At least 25 loud explosions occurred in as many minutes around noon on Sunday.
Ukraine's military spokesman told the Reuters news agency a cessation of fighting would only occur if the rebels raised "white flags" and surrendered.
On Saturday, rebel leader Aleksandr Zakharchenko called for a ceasefire to avert a "humanitarian catastrophe," but his request was met warily by both the Ukrainian government in Kiev and the West.
The calls for a ceasefire have been seen as a way of pressuring Ukraine to allow in a Russian aid mission. The West says that could be used as a pretext to bring Russian soldiers into Ukraine.
Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko and Western leaders have repeatedly accused Moscow of providing arms and expertise to the rebels, something Russia denies.
Fighting in Donetsk has forced at least 300,000 of the city's one million residents to flee.
"This is a real war! It's impossible to live in this city, I've been sleeping in the basement for the past week," Inna Drobyshevskaya, a 48-year-old lawyer said.
"We don't want Novorossiya for this price," she said, referring to a term used by rebels to describe the parts of eastern Ukraine seeking independence from the government in Kiev. Russia releases Ukrainians
Russia has released another five Ukrainian soldierswho crossed into the country last week and handed them over to Ukraine.
Moscow claimed they had surrendered and were switching sides, but Kiev said they were forced to withdraw over the border after running out of ammunition in battles with the separatists.
"At 1.40 am, Russia handed over to Ukrainian border guards five troops ... who had been illegally detained on the territory of the Russian Federation," the council's spokesman Andriy Lysenko said.
Russian investigators had originally accused the soldiers of using heavy weapons indiscriminately, wounding or killing at least 10 civilians and destroying 20 homes in the region near the eastern Ukrainian rebel-held city of Lugansk.
However, Vladimir Markin, the spokesman for the Russian Investigation Committee, told state news agency Ria Novosti that "the probe revealed that the men only followed orders from their command and did not directly commit any crimes".
War crimes charges would have carried penalties of up to 20 years in prison.