Commentary on the economic , geopolitical and simply fascinating things going on. Served occasionally with a side of snark.
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
Ukraine Updates June 4 , 2014 ...... KIEV, June 04. /ITAR-TASS/. Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko said on Wednesday he was going to involve representatives of the country’s restive east in a dialogue, his press service said ( memo to chocolate king - stop killing civilians ) .......... Leader of a far-right Ukrainian party Right Sector Dmytro Yarosh, who was put on international wanted list by the Russian Investigative Committee, was offered a post in a new government in the country to be formed under President-elect Petro Poroshenko ......... Verkhovna Rada registers draft resolution on air strike probe in east Ukraine's Luhansk ...... Articles of note -- RIA Novosti
Verkhovna Rada registers draft resolution on air strike probe in east Ukraine's Luhansk
KIEV, June 04. /ITAR-TASS/. Oleksandr Yefremov, leader of the Party of Regions faction in the Verkhovna Rada, suggests to recognize the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court to probe a military crime in the eastern Ukrainian city of Luhansk, where a Ukrainian warplane had delivered a missile strike on the regional administrative building in the center of the city on June 2. The draft resolution to this effect was registered in parliament on Wednesday.
Yefremov stated earlier that at least seven civilians were killed and dozens others wounded in a shelling of the Luhansk regional administrative building on June 2. “We have drafted a parliamentary resolution for investigation of a crime against civilians on June 2 in accordance with the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court in The Hague. We ask parliament to support this resolution to probe a crime of state authorities against their own civilians,” Yefremov said.
Air strike at Luhansk regional administrative building
A Ukrainian fighter plane delivered a missile strike on the Luhansk regional administrative building in the very center of the city, probably by cluster bombs, the press service of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic said on Monday. The press service noted that eight civilians were killed in the air strike. Another 28 people received heavy injuries and were hospitalized. Luhansk republican Health Minister Natalia Arkhipova is on the list of fatalities.
On June 3, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) issued a report saying that Luhansk regional administrative building came under a missile strike from the warplane.
Militiamen have launched a missile from a portable air defense missile system, hitting the Luhansk regional administrative building on June 2, Ukrainian First Deputy Prosecutor General Mykola Golomsha said. Representative of Ukrainian Armed Forces Alexei Dmitrashkovsky claimed that the explosion had allegedly gone off inside the building, but there was no shelling from the outside. “The most probable reason for the blast was careless and unskilled handling of firearms and explosives,” he believes.
Right Sector leader to take post in new Ukraine government
KIEV, June 04. /ITAR-TASS/. Leader of a far-right Ukrainian party Right Sector Dmytro Yarosh, who was put on international wanted list by the Russian Investigative Committee, was offered a post in a new government in the country to be formed under President-elect Petro Poroshenko. Yarosh accepted the offer, Right Sector representative Borislav Bereza told local media on Wednesday.
“You can expect Yarosh to decide on taking a post in a new government soon,” he affirmed, also saying with hope that Right Sector would be represented in a new Ukrainian parliament, the Verkhovna Rada, where he would work together with the nationalist party Svoboda (Freedom).
The main investigation department of the Russian Investigative Committee opened criminal proceedings against Yarosh on accusation of public appeals to terrorism and extremism-related activity through media. Yarosh was put on international wanted list. Basmanny district court of Moscow sanctioned his arrest in absentia.
Poroshenko signals bid to encourage dialogue with Ukraine’s east
KIEV, June 04. /ITAR-TASS/. Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko said on Wednesday he was going to involve representatives of the country’s restive east in a dialogue, his press service said.
It was among the priority tasks, the press service quoted him as saying at talks with Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski. Poroshenko also said he was in favor of a peaceful settlement of the conflict in the country.
“For this, re-elections to the Verkhovna Rada and local councils must be held as soon as possible,” he said. The Polish leader, for his part, said Warsaw “expresses full support for the European course, reforms and modernization in Ukraine”. “Poland already provides expert assistance to Ukraine on decentralization of power on the pattern of Polish self-government,” the Polish president added.
MOSCOW, June 4 (RIA Novosti) — Russia is not planning to submit to the United Nations Security Council an initiative on imposing a no-fly zone over the territory of Eastern Ukraine, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov told RIA Novosti Wednesday.
Gatilov said that such an initiative would not be supported by the western partners.
"At the current stage we are not considering such a similar initiative," Gatilov said.
He added that the western countries would not support that initiative in case of its submission the UN Security Council.
On Tuesday, the authorities of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic (LPR) called for a peacekeeping contingent and a no-fly zone in the region after self-defense forces reported that the Ukrainian Air Force carried out an air strike on the administration building in Luhansk killing eight people.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said the airstrike on Luhansk proved Kiev authorities' unwillingness to search for ways to achieve national reconciliation in Ukraine and their disregard for Geneva accords and OSCE roadmap. Ukraine’s Party of Regions intends to initiate an investigation of the incident at the International Criminal Court.
KIEV, June 4 (RIA Novosti) – Ukraine’s interim president and speaker of parliament Oleksandr Turchynov has arrived to a military command facility near the eastern city of Slaviansk and is coordinating the operation of armed forces against independence supporters, the press service of the Ukrainian parliament said Wednesday.
"Today Oleksandr Turchynov left for a command center near Slaviansk in the Donetsk region to coordinate actions of military units involved in the anti-terrorist operation," the statement said.
The press office hasn’t provided information on the precise location of the military post.
On Tuesday, Turchynov instructed Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council to consider imposing martial law on southeastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions, where a military operation is under way.
The Luhansk and Donetsk People’s Republics declared themselves independent states following the referendums in May and soon started to form governments and law enforcement agencies. The interim Kiev government refused to recognize the legitimacy of any of these decisions and continued the military operation launched mid-April against the independence supporters in the regions. Moscow has repeatedly condemned the new Kiev authorities for what it called "a punitive operation" and stressed the need for de-escalation of the Ukrainian crisis.
On June 3 Russia circulated a draft UN Security Council resolution urging to stop violence in the east of Ukraine and set up humanitarian corridors to allow the civilians to leave the territory of the military operation.
LUHANSK, June 3 (RIA Novosti) — The Luhansk city authorities called the Monday airstrike on the city center, which killed eight, a war crime on behalf of the Kiev authorities.
"I declare that the air strike on a non-combatant city is a war crime," the head of the Luhansk People's Republic's press service Vladimir Inogorodsky said in a statement on Tuesday.
He added he was outraged by the following claims that the air attack had never taken place, and the blast had been instigated by the local self-defense.
"I was a direct witness of the attack. I saw planes in the run-up. We have a surveillance camera on our building, and now, Ukrainian media are spreading information that we shot at ourselves from manpads," said Inogorodsky.
On Monday, Ukrainian military stroke Luhansk from the air twice. The first shot was at the administration building in the center of the city. The second airstrike went into a roadblock by Luhansk. According to LPR’s officials, cluster bombs banned by the international convention were used in the attack.
At the same time, a fight between independence supporters and the border patrol lasted all day on Monday.
A total of 13 people were reported dead as a result of the airstrike and the boder fight. Eight members of the Ukrainian special forces were injured, according to the national State Border Guard Service.
The attacks came as part of a special operation launched by Ukraine’s government to crack down on independence supporters in mid-April. The state authorities failed to gain control over the self-proclaimed independent republics.
Moscow has repeatedly condemned the new Kiev authorities for what it called «a punitive operation» and stressed the need for de-escalation of the Ukrainian crisis.