Saturday, May 31, 2014

Protests Global news of the Day May 31, 2014 -- Anonymous hacktivists plan massive attack on Brazilian World Cup sponsors ....... Turkish police have shot tear gas at protesters, along with an RT journalist covering the event. Thirty-two have been detained on the anniversary of the 2013 Gezi Park demonstrations and 25,000 officers have been dispatched ahead of more planned rallies.........Nauseous black smoke from burning tires is back in Central Kiev. A group of Maidan activists set them on fire in a gesture of protest against an order from Kiev’s elected Mayor Vladimir Klitshchko’s to remove the barricades.

Brazil...



Anonymous hacktivists plan massive attack on Brazilian World Cup sponsors – report

Published time: May 31, 2014 14:41
AFP Photo / Christophe Simon
AFP Photo / Christophe Simon
Amid mass demos and violence over extravagant World Cup spending showing little promise of return for an impoverished Brazil, Anonymous hackers plan a mass hack attack on the Cup’s sponsors, a source told Reuters.
High inflation and low business investment have hampered the government’s recent attempts to boost the economy ahead of the tournament. All this is happening as some of the country’s most pressing social and other problems have been neglected, with rampant poverty and destitution rife in large parts of the capital.
People are up in arms, staging protest events for a number of reasons, the latest of which are centered on skepticism that the lavish spending on the World Cup will benefit them in any substantial way. This Friday, several simultaneous events blocked Rio de Janeiro’s main roads, paralyzing traffic.
Anonymous hacktivists are allegedly taking matters into their own hands, threatening some of the major sponsors of the World Cup. On Friday, Reuters spoke to a member who allegedly has intimate knowledge of the plan, after an attack took place earlier this week that targeted the Brazil foreign ministry’s networks and led to the leak dozens of confidential emails. Already heralded as the biggest cyber-security breach since the NSA accessed President Dilma Roussef’s personal communications, the last attack caused the leak of 333 documents, according to Che Commodore, the hacker who spoke to Reuters.
In the last attack, hacker AnonManifest used phishing tactics to hack into the Foreign Ministry's databases and access emails, Che Commodore explained.
And “until yesterday, the hacker still had access to the system,” he added, showing just how powerless the government can be in the face of such computer wizardry and a disgruntled population. Later, the government attempted to downplay the damage done.
A man shouts through a megaphone during a protest against the money spent on preparations of the upcoming World Cup, in Brasilia May 30, 2014.(Reuters / Joedson Alves)
A man shouts through a megaphone during a protest against the money spent on preparations of the upcoming World Cup, in Brasilia May 30, 2014.(Reuters / Joedson Alves)

Che Commodore gave comprehensive information about the upcoming attack as well, although the agency had no means of confirming his identity or connection with the infamous hacker group.
“We have a plan of attack,” Che told the agency. “We have already conducted late-night tests to see which of the sites are more vulnerable… This time we are targeting the sponsors of the World Cup,” he said, speaking by Skype from an undisclosed location in Brazil.
All the world’s main commercial players in their respective industries are involved in the 2014 World Cup, and most have made the hit list, according to the computer wizard; Coca Cola, Budweiser, the Emirates airline and Adidas are among them.
The proposed method of attack is reportedly going to be a run-of-the-mill DDoS, which aims to create thousands of simultaneous access requests to a selected site in order to overload and crash it.
The World Cup is already plagued by a host of problems, from poverty to the embarrassing security situation, through to police violence in their attempts to ‘clean up’ the capital’s ‘favelas’ (slums). Infrastructure delays have also recently had organizers wondering whether holding the event in Brazil was a good idea at all. Poverty is one thing, but some stadiums stood unfinished dangerously close to the start date of June 12.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke expressed concern on Thursday over the state of three of the twelve massive stadiums that have been built or refurbished for the event, capping off a two-week trip by warning organizers in Natal, Porto Alegre, and Sao Paulo - which will host the first match in two weeks - that it is now a “race against the clock.”
Any further embarrassment could be a major dent, as this week’s attack had Brazilian diplomats left without email for several days. On Friday, one of them told Reuters he still couldn’t access his email.

Turkey.....
Hurriyet liveblog....

LIVE: Police use tear gas, water cannons on tense Gezi anniversary

Fırat Alkaç - Eyüp Serbest - Çetin Aydın - İsmail Saymaz - Serkan Ocak - Özgün Özçer - Stefan Martens / Istanbul

Istanbul police closed Gezi Park, Taksim Square and İstiklal Avenue on May 31, detaining several people, before using tear gas in the evening against demonstrators who mark the anniversary of last year's massive protests that shook Turkey. Clashes occur in Ankara and Adana, too

Police have detained some demonstrators while CHP deputy Mahmut Tanal was speaking to the journalists on İstiklal Avenue in Taksim on May 31. Minutes after the incident, police started to intervene with tear gas, water cannons on İstiklal Avenue. (Photo: Hürriyet)
Police have detained some demonstrators while CHP deputy Mahmut Tanal was speaking to the journalists on İstiklal Avenue in Taksim on May 31. Minutes after the incident, police started to intervene with tear gas, water cannons on İstiklal Avenue. (Photo: Hürriyet)
Istanbul was on alert on the first anniversary of the massive Gezi protests May 31.

Calls were made for street action in the flashpoint area of Taksim Square, which was the heart of last year’s demonstrations.

But officials signaled that no demonstration would be allowed in Taksim and even in other parts of Istanbul, as the police ordered a sweeping deployment to crush any attempt of protest.

Tensions ran high as some 25,000 police officers, 50 water cannon trucks (TOMAs), a large number of armored vehicles, as well as helicopters, were dispatched to prevent any gathering at Taksim Square and its environs. 

The Istanbul police canceled all holidays and increased the shifts of officers to 12 hours until a second order. Additional policemen from 11 other provinces were deployed to the city as part of measures against possible protests.

“You will not be able to come to those places like you did last year. Because the police have taken absolute orders, they will do all,” Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said during the opening ceremony of a local municipal building in Istanbul hours before the planned gatherings.

Despite the government's calls, demonstrators gathered in Istanbul and other cities after a calm morning. The police started to use tear gas at 7 p.m.

Here are the live updates:

20.54: Police prevent a group who attempted to cross the Bosphorus Bridge on foot from Istanbul's Asian side to Taksim in the European side. Cihangir (below) andBeşiktaş are among European neighborhoods where police intervention continues. Policemen carry batons in their black backpacks.



20.51: Even journalists with official press cards issued by Turkey's Prime Ministry are not allowed to enter İstiklal Avenue, which looks desolate except the police presence.

20.40: A man have played flute in the middle of a busy road in Tarlabaşı neighborhood of Istanbul to protest authorities, while police pursued a group of demonstrators. Several people applauded the unnamed man who walked away after finishing his song, according to Doğan News Agency.



20.36: Police have started to intervene in Istanbul's Asian side neighborhood Kadıköy for the first time today. Riot police dispersed a group of demonstrators who attempted to close a highway to traffic.

20.30: Several people around İstiklal Avenue in Istanbul have been affected by tear gas. Hürriyet reporters observe that almost no civilians are left on the avenue. "Police don't use as much tear gas as in the past, but the number of people whom they detain is more than usual," a demonstrator told Hürriyet Daily News reporter Özgün Özçer.



19.54: Taksim Solidarity said on its Twitter account that it will not make a statement "until the police violence ends." The group said it will not leave the area, either.

19.47: Some demonstrators shoot fireworks at police in the side strees of Taksim, while two children were reportedly detained for allegedly shooting stones at police officers with their slings.

19.37: İlhan Cihaner, another member of parliament from the main opposition CHP, was in the crowd that resisted a TOMA on İstiklal Avenue.



19.30: A police vehicle (TOMA) uses water cannon to put out a fire in a trash bin near Galata Tower in the Tünel neighborhood of Taksim amid intense tear gas:



19.26:
 Habertürk TV reports that police used plastic bullets against demonstrators in Istanbul's affluent Osmanbey neighborhood near Taksim.

19.23: Police also intervened in Istanbul's Gazi neighborhood, a traditionally hotspot for street action, with tear gas and water cannons to stop the rally toward Taksim. Clashes between the police and the protesters continue. 

19.18: Several people have been injured and hospitalized after a street vendor's trolley was hit by water cannon shattering its glass.

19.16:
 Another metropolis where police forcefully intervened to disperse the Gezi demonstrators at 7 p.m. is the southern city of Adana.

19.15: Police use tear gas near Kızılay Square in Ankara, too. Demonstrators try to re-group.

19.00: Police have started to use tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters around Taksim Square and Gezi Park in Istanbul.

18.55: HDP deputy Levent Tüzel told Hürriyet Daily News correspondent Stefan Martens that the police let them to read a statement in İstiklal Avenue. "We insisted to do it at Taksim Square, but we've been told that the governor doesn't permit it," Tüzel added.

18.41: Negotiations to march to Taksim Square failed. Police could now try to disperse the crowd on a side street leading to İstiklal Avenue, according to Hürriyet correspondents on the scene. 

18.26: CHP deputy Mahmut Tanal has said that 14 people are still under police custody and Istanbul governor didn't return his phone calls. "Now I'm going try to read a statement to the press at Taksim Square," he added at an impromptu meeting with journalists in which Hürriyet Daily News correspondent Stefan Martens participated.

18.19: Members of Taksim Solidarity have tried to enter İstiklal Avenue, but police chiefs have refused to allow them.



18.08:
 32 people have reportedly been detained in Taksim so far. The number of people walking on İstiklal Avenue, one of the main entertainment centers of the city, is extraordinarily low for a Saturday night due to the police lockdown.

17.56: The LGBT community hit the streets for Gezi Park again, like they did during last year's protests.



17.45: Çarşı, the hardcore fans of Beşiktaş football club, have announced they will join the march to Taksim at 7 p.m.

17.40: The confrontations between police and demonstrators are sometimes not so tense. Here is a young man teasing police to pose for a selfie with him, as shared by Hürriyet columnist Melis Alphan:



17.33: Several individuals have been detained on İstiklal Ave. by plainclothes police officers.



17.25: The number of people who are individually walking toward Taksim has been increasing remarkably since 5 p.m., according to the journalists reporting from the neighboring districts.

17.07: Rallies are apparently spreading throughout Turkey. 140journos, a citizen journalism initiative on social media, reports from Muğla that a rally is held in the western Turkish city, too:



16.59: "Gezi tents" have been put in the southern Turkish city of Antalya, according to Doğan News Agency:



16.49: Reuters correspondent Hümeyra Pamuk reports from İstiklal Avenue:



16.27: So far, the only person who managed to enter Gezi Park today is Sırrı Süreyya Önder, a member of Parliament from HDP. Önder was the first prominent politician who participated in the Gezi Park protests last year.



16.12: Funicular lines and rope railways serving the Taksim area have also been stopped by authorities as a precaution to prevent gatherings.

15.44: The main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) local branch in theBeşiktaş neighborhood of Istanbul called their members to gather at 6.30 p.m. to march to Taksim.

15.29: CNN International's Istanbul correspondent Ivan Watson is briefly detained near Taksim Square. (Click here to read the full story)

15.12: Several riot police officers left their vans on Taksim Square and İstiklal Avenue, despite the fact that the number of demonstrators in the area is smaller than the number of security personnel and journalists at this moment.

14.52: Police closed Taksim Square to civilians with scores of officers surrounding the plaza. 

14.35: Police emptied the steps of Gezi Park despite the objections of the book reading demonstrators.

14.11: A small group of demonstrators initiated a "book reading action" on the steps of Gezi Park near Taksim Square.



13.10: The city's ferry company has announced that all boats running between the Anatolian and Asian sides of the city were cancelled upon the governor office's decision starting from 03.00 pm until a second notice. Police will also be deployed near the bridges crossing to Bosphorus to prevent people from crossing to the other side of the city, just like last year. 

11.20: Along with fire trucks, water cannon trucks (TOMAs) and other anti-riot vehicles, some construction equipment, which are commonly used by the police to move road barricades, are seen at the square. 

10.50: Istanbul police closed Gezi Park, while the adjacent Taksim Square remained silent in the early hours of the day. 

10.00: Some background on the Gezi Park protests from today's HDN: Serkan Demirtaş writes about the main opposition CHP's report which describes the Gezi Park protests as "a historic struggle for democracy", while Güven Sak investigates "the Gezi spirit and Twitter wars."

09.32: Tight measures are also adopted in sensitive neighborhoods, including Okmeydanı, Gazi and Sancaktepe, which are home to large communities of Alevis.



09.00: Scores of policemen are patrolling the roads leading to Taksim Square, particularly İstiklal Avenue, early in the morning.


Background:

May 31 marks the first anniversary since a dawn crackdown to remove activists from the park sparked national outrage, leading to protests in other cities. 

The Taksim Solidarity Platform, an umbrella association which initiated last year’s protests against the cutting down of trees at Gezi Park, called for gatherings on May 31 to remember victims who died following brutal police crackdowns across Turkey. 

The group also called for commemorations of Elif Çermik, a 64-year-old woman who became the latest victim of police violence on May 30 as she died after spending 159 days in coma due to a heart attack triggered by tear gas. 

The Confederation of Public Sector Trade Unions (KESK) also called on its members to participate in the demonstrations. 

Istanbul Gov. Hüseyin Avni Mutlu slammed calls for commemorative demonstrations this week reiterating that “measures will be adopted” to prevent any gathering in Istanbul. 

Six young protesters died during crackdowns directly connected to the Gezi protests – Mehmet Ayvalıtaş, Abdullah Cömert, Ethem Sarısülük, Ali İsmail Korkmaz, Ahmet Atakan and, most recently, 15-year-old Berkin Elvan. Gezi protesters have also adopted Medeni Yıldırım, who was shot during a protest against the building of a new gendarmerie post in Diyarbakır’s Lice district in June 2013 and Hasan Ferit Gedik, who was killed in a clash between gangs and leftist groups in Istanbul’s Gülsuyu neighborhood last September, as victims of police violence.

Earlier this month, a man in Mersin, Mehmet İstif, also died of cancer widely believed to have been triggered by tear gas shot directly into his mouth during Gezi protests there.

Two more people, Uğur Kurt and Ayhan Yılmaz, died during clashes between police and a group of demonstrators in Istanbul’s Okmeydanı neighborhood last week. Kurt’s killing by a police bullet as he was attending a funeral sparked yet new outrage on the eve of the Gezi anniversary.
May/31/2014





http://rt.com/news/162792-turkey-taksim-protests-anniversary/

Turkish police have shot tear gas at protesters, along with an RT journalist covering the event. Thirty-two have been detained on the anniversary of the 2013 Gezi Park demonstrations and 25,000 officers have been dispatched ahead of more planned rallies.

  1. Tens of thousands of police on the ground in for & a helicopter flys overhead... pic.twitter.com/863no0iVvE
A sitting protest now on . Police look like they're getting ready to move in pic.twitter.com/c0SjtlmLZq
View image on Twitter


Several hundred people had been assembling on streets leading to Taksim Square when police fired tear gas into the crowd, which promptly dispersed.

View image on Twitter
Tens of thousands of police on the ground in for & a helicopter flys overhead...