Thursday, June 12, 2014

Malaysia Airline Flight 370 news June 12 , 2014 -- Sifting through the paucity of media reports ( it's as if the missing plan has disappeared from the radar of the major media as well ! ) MH370 SEARCH: Malaysia told the most lies, spent the least money ? M'sian govt vows MH370 transparency all over the world EXCEPT in its own Parliament ........ MH370: Australia appoints Fugro for bathymetric survey of search area ......

Malaysia Chronicle .....

Thursday, 12 June 2014 09:19

MH370 SEARCH: Malaysia told the most lies, spent the least money?

Rate this item
(4 votes)
MH370 SEARCH: Malaysia told the most lies, spent the least money?
Though Malaysian officials said on Monday that the country has spent $8.6 million to locate MH370, and will split costs with Australia in the next phase of the search, estimates of expenditures by other countries indicate that Malaysia has thus far spent relatively little.
Australia is estimated to have spent the most in the MH370 search: over $43 million, the Sydney Morning Herald reported on Monday.
The U.S has spent $11.4 million, officials at the Pentagon told NBC in April.
Chinese officials have not disclosed the amount the country has spent, though Chinese warships are estimated to cost at least $100,000 per day to operate.
Another 22 countries have contributed to the search efforts.
MH370 Flight Search Expenditure By Country
Local media sources estimated that Vietnam had spent $8 million in the initial search phases, according to Reuters, though Vietnamese officials have not confirmed this statistic. If true, then Malaysia has spent only about 7% more than Vietnam, which scaled back its search efforts four days after the plane disappeared.
According to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, a country is required to assist distressed aircraft in its territory, and the country where the aircraft is registered is granted the opportunity to help, too. - TIME


Wednesday, 11 June 2014 14:50

M'sian govt vows MH370 transparency all over the world EXCEPT in its own Parliament

Rate this item
(1 Vote)
M'sian govt vows MH370 transparency all over the world EXCEPT in its own Parliament
KUALA LUMPUR — Two DAP lawmakers today demanded to know why Putrajaya has yet to release a report on possible procedural violations by officials in the Flight MH370 crisis, although 100 days have lapsed since the aircraft’s disappearance.
Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim Chee Keong said it was “obvious” that there had been a clear breach of standard operating procedures in the country’s handling of the tragedy, which has continued to beleaguer the world over.
“Until today, almost reaching 100 days, there has been no postmortem report on the standard operating procedure (SOP) which apparently failed to trigger the proper emergency responses when the plane has gone missing.
“We do not need to wait for the black box to start investigating because it is obvious that there was poor response from the ground even after several red alerts showed the lack of SOP or the failure by certain parties to follow SOP,” the federal lawmaker told a press conference at the Parliament lobby here.
The opposition had previously claimed of obvious discrepancies in the way the government had responded in the early hours of the Boeing 777’s sudden disappearance on March 8.
Military failure
Pakatan Rakyat (PR) leaders like Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim have repeatedly singled out the military’s failure to react to radar detection of an unidentified aircraft flying over Malaysian airspace, which later was found to be Flight MH370.
Sim also noted that when the plane disappeared from commercial radar just one hour after it left the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, there was a delay in response by Malaysian officials.
Setampin DAP lawmaker Julian Kok Ping said that the government is using “national security” as an excuse to conceal its weaknesses.
“Steven Sim’s  question on the issue for this Parliamentary session has been rejected under the pretext of it being a ‘secret’,” he told the same press conference.
In the March sitting, Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Mulia had omitted Sim’s query from the Order Paper on grounds that the question was meant to support a conjecture.
Sim had asked the Ministry of Defence to state which of its base had detected MH370 and which company had supplied the radar. He also asked what the follow-up action was on the military’s failure to respond.
The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 went missing in the early hours of March 8 during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, carrying 239 people on board.
MAS and Putrajaya have been severely criticised for the way it dealt with the crisis with family members of those on board the plane accusing the Najib administration of a cover-up.
The ongoing search for flight MH370 is considered the longest and most expensive in the world’s aviation history, with the Reuters news agency estimating costs to have hit RM141 million for the first month alone.
The Boeing 777 jet, which was carrying 239 people on board, disappeared on March 8 after the plane veered from its Beijing-bound flight path and flew in the opposite direction towards the southern Indian Ocean. - Malay Mail


Star Online......




Published: Tuesday June 10, 2014 MYT 5:04:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday June 10, 2014 MYT 5:58:20 PM

MH370: Australia appoints Fugro for bathymetric survey of search area


Analysis of information indicates MH370 will be found close to the "seventh arc", where the aircraft is considered to have run out of fuel and to have been descending.
Analysis of information indicates MH370 will be found close to the "seventh arc", where the aircraft is considered to have run out of fuel and to have been descending.
   
KUALA LUMPUR: The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) signed a contract with deep water survey company, Fugro Survey Pty Ltd (Fugro), to conduct a bathymetric survey of the seafloor in the search area for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, the Joint Agency Coordinating Centre (JACC) said in a statement.
The bathymetric survey will provide a map of the underwater search zone, charting the contours, depths and composition of the seafloor in water depths up to 6,000 metres.
The survey will provide crucial information to help plan the deep water search for MH370 which is scheduled to commence in August.
Fugro will use the state-of-the-art vessel MV Fugro Equator which is equipped with a deep-water multibeam echo sounder system and carries expert survey personnel to undertake the survey operations.
MV Fugro Equator will join the Chinese PLA-Navy ship Zhu Kezhen, which recently began conducting bathymetric survey operations in the search area.
Zhu Kezhen is currently in Fremantle for repairs to its equipment.
The two vessels are anticipated to take around three months to complete the bathymetric survey of the 60,000 square kilometre search zone.
As the lead agency in the search for MH370, the ATSB commissioned Fugro to undertake the bathymetric survey through a limited tender process.
The survey vessel will be directed by the ATSB. The ship will send survey data to the ATSB and Geoscience Australia which will be used to progressively build a map of the search area.
The ATSB has also invited organisations to submit proposals to conduct the underwater search through a request for tender process.
The Request for Tender was released on AusTender on June 4 with the closing date and time for submissions being 5:30pm AEST on June 30.


Published: Monday June 9, 2014 MYT 12:39:00 PM
Updated: Monday June 9, 2014 MYT 12:49:48 PM

MH370: RM27.6mil spent so far on food, fuel for Malaysian agencies in search operations

   
KUALA LUMPUR: The nation has so far spent approximately RM27.6mil on search-and-recovery (SAR) operations for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, said acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein.
The cost was for food and fuel for Malaysian agencies that took part in the search.
The five agencies were the Royal Malaysian Airforce, Royal Malaysian Navy, Royal Malaysian Police, Fire and Rescue Department and the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency.
"The cost that we had to bear is relatively small compared with the other assets given by other countries used in the search.
"I am proud that many of our friends have come forward to help in the search, and they bear their own expenses and have not made any claims from us," he told the reporters at the Parliament lobby here Monday.
He said the overall cost of the search so far was very high and it was fortunate that some countries were footing their own bills.
"This is what we have spent and I hope this will dispel any questions raised regarding the matter and that is why I am announcing it here today," said Hishammuddin.
MH370, carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew, left the KL International Airport at 12.41am on March 8 and disappeared from radar screens about an hour later, while over the South China Sea. It was to have arrived in Beijing at 6.30am on the same day.
A multinational search was mounted for the aircraft, first in the South China Sea and then, after it was learned that the plane had veered off course, along two corridors – from the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan to northern Thailand and the southern corridor, from Indonesia to the southern Indian Ocean.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak then announced on March 24 – 17 days after the disappearance of the aircraft - that Flight MH370 had “ended in the southern Indian Ocean”, following analysis of data released by United Kingdom satellite telecommunications company Inmarsat.
So far, no debris from the aircraft has been spotted.