Commentary on the economic , geopolitical and simply fascinating things going on. Served occasionally with a side of snark.
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 Mystery May 29 -30 , 2014 -- Wild goose Chase confirmed at last ------- MH370 WAS NEVER THERE AT ALL! Australia finally admits it, blame shifts to M'SIAN GOVT ( THE final resting place of MH370 is no closer to being known after Australian authorities today discounted an area that had been considered the most likely zone. ) ...... Family members see further proof of a cover up ---- KUALA LUMPUR — Today’s admission by Australian officials that the southern Indian Ocean area where pings were detected is not the crash site of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has been described as evidence of “a giant cover-up” by some distraught family members of those onboard the missing airliner.
Malaysia Chronicle ......
Friday, 30 May 2014 08:59
Chinese PM tells Najib: Come up with new MH370 search & take the investigation "SERIOUSLY'
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday urged Malaysia to formulate a new plan for the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.
"We expect Malaysia to take the leading and coordinating role, come up with a new search plan for the jet at an early date, and take the investigation seriously," Li said in talks with visiting Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, who is on a six-day official visit to China.
Li reviewed China's cooperation with Malaysia since the plane went missing on March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. "We have never stopped our search efforts and place great importance on this situation's investigation and settlement," he said.
Li called on Malaysia to respond to the legitimate appeals of passengers' families and properly settle such issues.
"Let me once again express sorrow and condolences to the next of kin, and to the families involved. We owe it to them to continue the search," Najib said.
He said Malaysia will continue to conduct the search together with China, Australia and other countries, "because this tragic incident is so complex and unprecedented, and requires the cooperation of several countries if we want to be successful."
Najib stressed his commitment to finding "solutions and answers to what really happened to this aircraft and do whatever we can to help and soothe the feelings of the next of kin."
On the issue of territorial tensions in the South China Sea, both leaders advocated solving disputes through direct negotiations between the parties concerned, avoiding actions that may lead to complication and escalation of the situation, and safeguarding peace and stability.
Najib's China visit comes as the two countries are celebrating the 40th anniversary of the establishment of their diplomatic ties.
Calling Malaysia a friendly neighbor and important partner of China in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Li said the two countries have achieved great progress in boosting their friendship and cooperation over the past 40 years.
Recalling Chinese President Xi Jinping's successful trip to Malaysia last year, Li pledged to take the opportunity of commemorating the 40th anniversary to strengthen political trust with Malaysia, enhance strategic communication and cooperation, and enrich the China-Malaysia partnership.
He called on both sides to give full play to bilateral trade consultation mechanisms, take advantage of the policies of the China-ASEAN free trade area, and make joint efforts to meet the goal of 160 billion U.S. dollars in bilateral trade by 2017.
The Chinese premier urged more cooperation in infrastructure building and connectivity, quicker construction of the China-Malaysia Qinzhou Industrial Park in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region and its sister park in Kuantan, a port city in Malaysia.
He also suggested enhanced cooperation in investment and finance, and expanded use of national currency in trade and investment.
Furthermore, Li asked both sides to step up efforts in building the Asian infrastructure investment bank, and to cooperate more in such areas as aviation, defense, judicial affairs, agriculture and culture.
They should cement coordination in regional and global affairs, and jointly boost China-ASEAN as well as East Asia cooperation, Li urged.
Najib, for his part, hailed the great achievements in ties over the years, calling on China and Malaysia to cherish and carry forward bilateral friendship that embodies the wisdom of efforts of the two countries' leaders and peoples.
He agreed with Li's proposals for closer cooperation, vowing to expand win-win joint work with China in trade, investment, finance, infrastructure building, agriculture, automobiles and culture.
Najib pledged to work with China to build the 21st century maritime Silk Road and the Asian infrastructure investment bank.
After their talks, they witnessed the signing of several cooperation documents regarding trade, culture, technology and investment.
China and Malaysia announced their intention to set up a Malaysian Consulate General in Nanning of China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region and Chinese Consulate Generals in the Malaysian cities of Penang and Kota Kinabalu.
Najib started his China visit on Tuesday in Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province. He arrived in Beijing on Wednesday. -http://english.cri.cn
Thursday, 29 May 2014 19:14
OUTRAGED M'sians demand explanation from their govt over MH370 SEARCH DEBACLE
Malaysians took to news portals and social media sites to voice their outrage that the intense search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in an area in the southern Indian Ocean found no sign of the ill-fated aircraft.
Soon after news broke that the Boeing 777 was not in the search area, online users demanded to know the final resting place of flight MH370, which vanished on March 8 en route to Beijing with 239 passengers and crew members on board.
Expressing disappointment with the latest news, a commentator with the user name takadil said: "Wild goose chase all over again. What we want is the truth, will the Malaysian authorities give that to us, we want closure to move on."
"Now you are telling us ... after 2 and half or almost 3 months.. now.. so where did the plane end now? ... Jibby would you like to change your statement?" said another commentator called Fungshui1 in reference to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, who had announced on March 24 that the Boeing 777-200ER ended its flight in the southern part of the Indian Ocean.
Najib had said this was based on data from British satellite company Inmarsat and the UK's Air Accidents Investigations Branch.
Commentator tiuniasin expressed concern over the use of taxpayer money to look for the plane.
"So how much of Malaysian taxpayers' money has been wasted on this wild goose chase?"
Some like EskayLim and kllau1 expressed disbelief that despite the intense search, the plane had yet to be found.
"Cannot be lah. How can an aeroplane of that size just simple disappear into thin air? Altraman! Altraman, please help us locate MH370 to bring closure," said EskayLim and referring to Japanese fiction superhero Ultraman.
kllau1 said: "A 200-tonne plane just cannot simply disappear without any trace for so long. By now, some debris must have washed ashore somewhere. Where are they?"
The news also caught the attention of Penang Chief Minister and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, who took to his Twitter account at @cmlimguaneng to question the search effort.
"Have we being taken 4 a ride," he asked. "BN must tell d world - Is it all a lie that MH370 was in the Indian ocean off Aust?" he tweeted.
In a statement earlier today, the Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) said the Bluefin-21 autonomous underwater vehicle completed its last mission yesterday, and after having scoured more than 850 square kilometres of the ocean floor had found no sign of the missing aircraft.
"The data collected on yesterday’s mission has been analysed. As a result, the JACC can advise that no sign of aircraft debris have been found by the autonomous underwater vehicle since it joined the search effort.
"With that, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has advised that the search in the vicinity of the acoustic detections can now be considered complete and in its professional judgment, the area can now be discounted as the final resting place of MH370." - TMI
Thursday, 29 May 2014 14:50
MH370 WAS NEVER THERE AT ALL! Australia finally admits it, blame shifts to M'SIAN GOVT
THE final resting place of MH370 is no closer to being known after Australian authorities today discounted an area that had been considered the most likely zone.
The triangle of water in the Indian Ocean was seen as the prime area largely as a result of acoustic pings picked up last month,and thought to be from the plane’s black box.
But the Australian Transport Safety Bureau today advised that the search in the vicinity of the acoustic detections can now be considered complete and that the area can be discounted as the final resting place of MH370.
Mystery disappearance ... it is now believed the pings came from a source not related to the missing Malaysia Airlines plane. Source: AFP
The official word came after a US Navy official told CNN this morning that the pings are now universally believed to have come from a man-made source unrelated to the missing jetliner, and not from the plane’s data or cockpit voice recorders.
Michael Dean, the Navy’s deputy director of ocean engineering, said that if the pings had come from the recorders, searchers would have found them.
“Our best theory at this point is that (the pings were) likely some sound produced by the ship ... or within the electronics of the Towed Pinger Locator,” Dean said.
“Always your fear any time you put electronic equipment in the water is that if any water gets in and grounds or shorts something out, that you could start producing sound.”
No sign of the plane ... specialists prepare to launch the Phoenix Autonomous Underwater Vehicle ‘Artemis’ Bluefin-21 from the vessel Ocean Shield. Source: AFP
When asked if the other nations involved in the search effort also believed the pings were unrelated to MH370, Dean answered “yes”.
He went on to tell CNN that it is not possible to categorically rule out that the pings came from the black boxes but that there is no evidence to suggest they did.
The US Navy later dismissed Mr Dean’s comments as “speculative and premature” — but that was before the ATSB’s announcement this afternoon.
“The US has been working cooperatively with our Malaysian, Australian and international partners for more than two months in an effort to locate MH370,” US Navy spokesman Chris Johnson said in a statement.
It’s over ... the search for the plane in the Indian Ocean has come to an end. Source: AP
“Mike Dean’s comments today were speculative and premature, as we continue to work with our partners to more thoroughly understand the data acquired by the Towed Pinger Locator.
“As such, we would defer to the Australians, as the lead in the search effort, to make additional information known at the appropriate time.”
The ATSB said Bluefin-21 completed its last mission yesterday afternoon searching the remaining areas in the vicinity of the acoustic signals which were detected in early April by the Towed Pinger Locator deployed from ADV Ocean Shield.
“The data collected on yesterday’s mission has been analysed. As a result, the JACC can advise that no signs of aircraft debris have been found by the Autonomous Underwater Vehicle since it joined the search effort,” it said in a statement.
This comes after News Corp Australia last week revealed that underwater scientists have labelled the search for MH370 a “debacle” and say Prime Minister Tony Abbott was playing politics when he prematurely announced the black box pingers had been found.
The acoustic experts, who do not wish to be identified, said the four crucial signals detected by a US pinger locator were almost certainly not from the missing Malaysian Airlines plane’s black boxes, but from another man-made source.
They insisted that the signals were in the wrong frequency and detected too far apart to be from the boxes.
“As soon as I saw the frequency and the distance between the pings I knew it couldn’t be the aircraft pinger,” one scientist said.
That conclusion is supported by the lack of success from a detailed search of the area conducted by the US deep sea drone Bluefin 21.
In answer to questions from News Corp Australia the Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) said that the signals were “likely” sourced from electronic equipment and were “believed to be” consistent with the Flight Data Recorder.
However the scientists said the 33.3 kilohertz frequency of the signal was very different to the 37.5 kilohertz generated by underwater acoustic beacons. The signals were also detected some 30km and four days apart.
The JACC has refused a request to release recordings of the signals for independent analysis and it did not release the exact location or precise depth of the signals.
Agency head retired defence chief Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston said the signals were still being analysed to ensure nothing was overlooked.
'It's a Malaysian govt cover-up'
Meanwhile the families of passengers aboard missing flight MH370 accuse Malaysia of a cover-up over newly released satellite data, saying it is incomplete and does not prove that the plane crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.
This comes as the first stage of the search off the west coast of Australia concludes without finding any debris from the missing Boeing 777.
The Malaysian Airlines flight, with 239 passengers and crew on board, disappeared in the early hours of March 8 on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Since then no trace of the jetliner has been found, despite a multi-million dollar search effort. - news.com.au
Thursday, 29 May 2014 19:20
IT WAS A 'GIANT COVER-UP': Angry MH370 families bay for blood
KUALA LUMPUR — Today’s admission by Australian officials that the southern Indian Ocean area where pings were detected is not the crash site of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has been described as evidence of “a giant cover-up” by some distraught family members of those onboard the missing airliner.
Sarah Bajc told The Malay Mail Online that the new “twist” is “consistent with the tangled mess that is this supposed investigation”.
Bajc, partner of Philip Wood, and Pralhad, whose wife Kranti is still missing along with the rest of the people on board, alleged that the latest revelation that the plane was not in the southern Indian Ocean, was part of a consistent effort by several countries in hiding the truth.
“This cover up is demonstrated through initial delays in search and rescue, their statements, preliminary report with manipulated or incomplete information, delayed realise of manipulated and incomplete Inmarsat data, contradicting statements from Mr Najib and Mr Hishammuddin and not declaring complete cargo manifest, which has raised several doubts,” Pralhad told The Malay Mail Online via e-mail.
He alleged that the search in the southern Indian Ocean was to distract the families and the media from the truth.
“It is obvious that when search is going on in middle of ocean no families or media will go there to see.
“This is a perfectly planned disappearance of MH370 and cover up by involved countries,” said the country director for an Irish non-government organisation, Concern Worldwide, in India.
Bajc meanwhile questioned why it was so hard to convince the public that search and rescue efforts for the missing plane and its passengers has been a “giant cover up”, pointing to possible links to weapons of mass destruction.
She also made references to Valerie Plame — the woman who claimed senior officials from the Bush Administration led to the exposure of her status as a CIA operative— and Edward Snowden, a National Security Agency contractor who had leaked troves of confidential material.
Earlier today, Australia’s authorities declared it is ending the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane in the southern Indian Ocean.
They came to that conclusion after deepsea hunts using a drone submersible have not been able to detect any trace of aircraft debris in more than 850 square kilometres of the ocean floor in the area.
The Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC), headed by retired Australian air marshal Angus Houston, said the underwater sub Bluefin-21 had completed its last mission searching the remaining areas where the several “ pings” believed to have originated from the missing passenger plane had been detected in early April.
“As a result, the Joint Agency Coordination Centre can advise that no signs of aircraft debris have been found by the Autonomous Underwater Vehicle since it joined the search effort.
“The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has advised that the search in the vicinity of the acoustic detections can now be considered complete and in its professional judgement, the area can now be discounted as the final resting place of MH370,” the statement said.
The JACC statement however said it was not giving up the underwater hunt for the plan but moving on to the next phase, which will involve a review of all data and analyses covering up to 60,000 square kilometres along the arc in the southern Indian Ocean; carrying out a bathymetric survey to map the sea floor and hiring the specialist services needed for a comprehensive search of the defined area.
Bajc told The Malay Mail Online that she has been repeating to herself since the first week of the disappearance that the families of those on board were being “managed and intentionally distracted”.
“Until 3 months later there is not a single solitary fact or piece of evidence that has been proven to be true. not one. Both the leads and the redactions come from a mix of official sources and “leaks”.
“Nothing is logical or consistent or according to standard expected protocols much less common sense. No organisation, not even the Malaysian government, is that inept and ignorant,” she said.
The economics and business teacher at a British high school in Beijing, China, said even the preliminary report released by the Malaysian government on May 1 was “so obviously full of holes as to appear to be intentionally so.”
“They give three different ‘last heard from’ times, in writing that just screams intentional incompetence to me. The most basic of factual data, that would be open public record in most places, has been withheld.”
“The superpowers have been inordinately quiet. The information that is released is manipulated,” Bajc said.
The new revelation came as two spokesmen from the US Navy issued conflicting statements on the ping signals at the centre of the search for MH370 in the last two days, with one saying the signals did not originate from the Malaysian aircraft while the second official later said the earlier observation was “speculative and premature”.
The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 aircraft went missing shortly after departing Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing on March 8 and remains missing despite an international search involving over two dozen countries.
The Beijing-bound plane was ferrying 12 crew and 227 passengers.
It was detailed analysis of satellite and radar data that led experts to believe that MH370 had gone down in the southern Indian Ocean, a theory that at first did not sit well with the families of those aboard the ill-fated jetliner as it showed a drastic diversion to the plane’s original flight path. - Malay Mail